75 Years of Pauline in presence in the USA (24 June 2007)
On Sunday, June 24, 2007, the Pauline Family consisting of the Society of St Paul, the Daughters of St. Paul, the Sister Disciples of the Divine Master, the Institute of Jesus the Priest, Cooperators and Friends, gathered at St. Peter’s Church on Staten Island, New York to celebrate and commemorate 75 years of Pauline presence in the United States of America. The Celebrant and Homilist of the Mass was Msgr. James Dorney, Vicar of Staten Island. Celebrating also were the Daughters of St. Paul who arrived in New York in 1932. The Sister Disciples of the Divine Master prepared the altar for the Eucharistic Celebration and among the concelebrants were priests of the Archdiocese, priest members of the Society of St. Paul and a novice of the Institute of Jesus, the Priest. There was a large attendance of the Brothers as well as cooperators and friends. Reception followed in the Church hall of St. Peter's.
Brief story of the SSP in USA
The foundation of the Society of St. Paul in the United States had its very humble beginnings in the Archdiocese of New York. The founder was Fr. Francis Xavier Borrano, who arrived in New York from Italy on October 1931. He had no fixed destination in the city of New York, had no money, and could not speak English. Consequently, as the immigration law required, he was quarantined at Ellis Island.
Released from Ellis Island, Fr. Borrano was received by the Jesuits at Nativity Church on Second Ave. in Manhattan. During this time he petitioned the establishment of the Pauline Community in New York. After several months temporary permission was granted and Fr. Borrano moved in March of 1932 to an apartment in Brooklyn, New York.
With the arrival of the members, Bro. Raphael, Fr. Stanislaus and Sub-Deacon Mario Gandolfi, the community began to expand and it was necessary to find larger quarters in the Bronx - first in Zerega Avenue, then in Tremont Avenue and then another move to Research Avenue. In 1937 the community made its final move to a six acre plot of land in Staten Island, New York which today is the present residence of the Society of St. Paul. This is the main publishing house for ST PAULS/Alba House books.
On May 9, 1944 the Paulines took possession of property in Canfield, Ohio where the Novitiate was begun. Two new printing presses were bought and the publication of "The Catholic Home Messenger" began. Today, it is the home of Audio Visual tape and CD productions.
In 1954 another foundation was made in the Archdiocese of Detroit. At first the community lived in a small private house and then moved to a larger building in Dearborn, Michigan, where it published a weekly newspaper, distributed films and operated a media center. Currently, the community has a bookstore and visits parishes on weekends for book displays in order to bring the Word of God directly to the people.
The future of our communications apostolate in America lies on the ingenuity and creativeness of the members perpetually assisted by the powerful aid of the Holy Spirit, and under the protection of the Queen of Apostles and of St. Paul.
Seated from left: Francesco Saverio Borrano, Giovanni Costa, don Giacomo Alberione, don Timoteo Giaccardo, don Giuseppe Trosso
Não existem artigos nesta categoria mas podem existir artigos em subcategorias caso estejam listadas.